Monday 12 August 2013

ouas- august

Once upon a sketch theme...i'll never forget

this could just be interpreted in so many ways. happy, sad, funny bad moments. 
i couldnt think about it too much as then i get overwhelmed with ideas in my head and then never end up making a decision and letting that challenge go for the month. 

so for me the best thing is to go with the first thing that comes to mind as then i very rarely struggle with that page. well this page just flowed and im so happy with it. 

some of you may know that my aunty and i scrap alot together via sms, as as much as style is different we have alot of similarities. so i did try to put some of them in this page as this page is about her son...my cousin. 
the paper is one we both have and love, she uses alot of cog masking and chipboard on her pages due to having 1 loving husband, 4 handsome adult sons, 6 adorable grandsons and 1 angel grandson with an honourable mention of her beautiful grandaughter. she also isnt afraid of using flowers and butterflies on her masculine pages so i too have added some butterflies on mine. 

so as i said this page is about my cousin, the eldest of her sons. he was unfortunately killed in a motor bike accident whilst on holiday in NSW with his motorbike group in april 2009.
i was absolutely shocked. i have a few great memories of him and the family all together but really we didnt have alot to do with each other as we lived away when we were kids and even though we returned, when i was a teenager i had moved across the other side of australia which is where i have stayed creating my own family. i was so glad that i had only contacted him via facebook several day prior to wish him and his wife congratulations as they announcement of their 3 month pregnancy after years of struggling. unfortunately, he was never to see his wife with the gorgeous baby belly, feel the kicks for the baby while in her belly or to ever hold his baby in his arms. 
this to me is the saddest part!
it just seems so unfair that he was taken so young when he has so much in front of him.
 when i had asked my aunty for a photo of him she sent me through heaps of them and i know she could have kept them coming, but i chose the photo (although it wasnt the best one) in which my memory best remembers him with his smile beaming from side to side.
so this is the sketch

and this is my page


with a close up

and to prove i have hidden journalling.


thanks to my aunty and uncle who had approved this blog post to be shown and for all of you who have read my post and especially those who have commented. 





9 comments:

  1. What a special tribute to your cousin...the colours & layering are just gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear I did read this with a sadness in my heart too for this young man so dear to you and his family taken far too soon.. But your layout truly is lovely and I think the photo is so handsome and the layout beautifully created...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really beautiful page Bel and is filled with the love of family; you have also treated the subject with a great deal of respect. Uncle P read the page twice and was really impressed with the page. You have honoured our beautiful boy with a lovely page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Bel, I always say to Susan that you have a very special bond in your family and this blog post and page proves it once again. I couldn't have said it any better than Linda, Lizzy or auntie S - this is a really beautiful page Bel! Thank you so much for sharing your memories and your page with us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful page for a loved one! I do not know if I would be able to manage ..... Chapeau!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your take on the challenge! Grat work! thanks for playing with us at OUAS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a BEAUTIFUL tribute to your Cousin... taken way to young! I had a brother who is SADLY no longer with my family.. same thing motor bike accident!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bel. This is Julie from A2Z Scraplets. Can you please contact me by email challenges@a2zscraplets.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful way to remember your cousin!!! This layout is stunning!!!! Love the background. And don't forget to email A2Z Scraplets ;)

    ReplyDelete